This great simple game was suggested to me by Marta as a way to get my eldest daughter writing. We played it for the first time this week and it went well. It clearly tickled my daughter’s interest.
Number of players: 2+
Skills: writing, spelling, vocabulary.
Resources: Pen and paper for each player
Aim of the game: Write as many words as possible in each word category. All these words must all start with a set letter.
- On the sheets of paper, each player draws as many columns as categories you want (animals, fruits, colours, countries…)
- Each player must find as many word for each category beginning with the choose a letter, e.g. column for fruits beginning with the letter A: Apple.
- The first one to complete each column on his/her sheet of paper, shouts “Stop!”.
- No points are given for words both players listed. A point is given to each player with a different word.
- Repeat with a new letter.
- The winner is the player with most points at the end of the game.
- Definitely a great game to play on trips to entertain kids whilst having them practice their minority language and writing skills. Cherry on the cake: very little resources to carry about! 😉